CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, 17 July 2008

Review: Wagamama

All right, I suck! 2 restaurants reviews and I have forgotten about photos for both. Each time, I awaited for my food eagerly and when they arrived, I "preyed" on it liked a starving animal.

I promise pictures next time.

I always hear very positive reviews about Wagamama. A friend from the UK was telling me how great it was back that. I had a taste of Wagamama experience last year. It wasn't great I must say. My feedback then were:
  1. Food overated. Taste was ordinary.
  2. No value for $.
  3. Service sucked!

Last night, we decided (or I should say - I decided) to give Wagamama a second chance. I told myself to go in with no biasness and try the food just liked a first time diner. We ordered gyoza for entree, Wagamama ramen (served with grilled chicken, fish, prawn, tofu, Jap fishcake and wakame) for me and Chicken Katsu Curry rice for Dien.

The gyoza came with a vinegar-liked dipping sauce and I really liked it. I reckon they could do better by stuffing the gyoza with abit more fillings. Minced chicken and cabbage aren't too expensive isn't it?

Ramen....my impression of ramen is this hot, steamy, noodle soup that comes with a mouth-watering to-die-for whiff when it's being served. None of that. It was not steamy hot. OK, there was steam but not the HOT HOT steam that I like. In terms of taste, sigh, I guess a neighbourhood Japanese takeaway could do better. These were the "highlights":

  1. Grilled chicken was dry. I hope it wasn't yesterday leftover chicken in the grill. Or the roast chicken special you get in Coles or Woolies before the end of the day.
  2. Grilled fish. What fish? Didn't see any fish in the bowl. Or or was it that piece smaller than a 20-cents coin?
  3. Grilled prawn was OK. It tasted what prawn should be.
  4. I got 1 piece of fried tofu and 1 piece of fish cake.

This is supposed to be THE RAMEN of Wagamama. It's called the Wagamama Ramen with a huge price tag of $17.20. (you can get a packet of Nissin Tonkatsu Ramen from any asian grocery store and it costs only $1.75 and it tastes better)

Dien's Chicken Katsu Curry wasn't too bad. He said it's worth 3.5-4/5. I gotta admit it didn't taste that bad. The server was very kind to accord his special request to have the curry sauce on the side (in case the sauce is too spicy hot).

Our total damage for the night was $33.75 (after Entertainment Book discount). Both of us reckon we could get better dessert elsewhere.


Wagamama
Cnr of Rokeby & Roberts Rds
Subiaco
Tel: 9388 6055
FOOD: **
SERVICE: ***
AM I GOING BACK?: Well, Wagamama you got your 2nd chance but you still can't prove yourself as 'Positive food, Positive experience'. I'm sorry.

0 comments: