Korean food leave a very deep impression in me. When I was in Seoul, Korea, I experienced the Korean hospitality and the fine cuisine. I have been having western food for the last few days and I'm really sick of it. Call me an Asian...I still favour rice and noodles anytime. So last night, it was my turn to pick a restaurant and Shilla Korean caught my eyes.
I have to start from the beginning as I feel that my dining experience starts from my first contact (telephone call) with Shilla restaurant.
I rang up about 5pm to enquire about the restaurant opening time. I had been told that the restaurant opens at 6pm for dinner. The man over the phone asked me if I have their address and I said yes, the Entertainment Book has the address printed. He pointed out that the information was not enough. He followed by giving me very specific instructions to locate the restaurant in East Perth.
We parked at the undercover carpark where the restaurant is located. When we stepped out of the lift, we were delighted that a man was waiting for us. He asked if we were going to the restaurant and we said yes. He showed us to the door and handed us over to the waiter who showed us to our seat.
The restaurant has a very simple decor, very pleasant and not clutter. The ornaments and the light Korean music playing in the background brought me back to my days in Seoul.
We chose to go straight into mains where we cooked our own food at the table. We picked a Wagyu Beef and a Chicken Bulgogi set. Our table BBQ was setup and shortly after, our meals were brought in. We let the waiter starts the BBQ for us. The meat started to sizzle and I could smell the fragrance of the marinate. The waiter later came to check on us and told us not to overcook the beef...Ah, he must be a medium-rare lover just liked both of us!
The meat was very tender and the dipping sauce complemented the meat without overpowering it. We had 4 side dishes (a light salad, pickled beansprouts and mashed potatoe and pumpkin and Kim Chi) that came with the set. My favourites are the Kim Chi and the mashed potatoe.
The food portion is not the regular Australian portion sized. The food was served just liked in Korea, very proportionate for a meal. By the end of the meal, we were not stuffed but pleasantly filled. We even have rooms for dessert.
For dessert, Dien had the Dessert Special for the Month - Deep fried banana balls served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, red bean paste and berry preserve. I picked the Korean pancake with red bean paste and vanilla ice-cream. Dessert was so delicious. The banana balls go well with the red bean paste...I could eat the red bean paste on its own! Hmmmmm.....
Our dinner cost $70.50 after the Entertainment Book discount. It was such a wonderful experience and for sure, we would return next time with friends or family (and we could try new stuff!!!)
Unit 74, 20 Royal Street
East Perth
Tel: 9221 7171
Opens 7 days for dinner
FOOD: ****
SERVICE: ****
AM I GOING BACK? : Hell Yes!
0 comments:
Post a Comment