I dashed across the road and ran so fast I thought I was meeting Hidetoshi Nakata (my version of Brad Pitt). But what stood in front of me was this HUGE truck with a BALD tree. Ok, you can see that I'm not a very green person by the sound of it.
This BALD tree is called a Boab Tree and it is native to the Kimberley. It can live up to 2000 years and this one that I saw.....it's 750 yo and it weighs 36 tonne. It created a commotion this afternoon in Subiaco.....jamming up the 2-lane busy street. And I stood there so amazed of this BALD tree and I don't have my mobile with me! (That's the not so nice thing about today, leaving my mobile at home....arghhhhh)
(This wasn't the tree on the truck. I didn't have my mobile phone to capture a pic, I had to google for one)
I was so closed to this amazingly old and bald tree and I had a thought to just go up and touch it. And the most funny thing was that this tree or the vehicle carrying this tree was escorted. There were a little "cherry picker" crane and 3 other cars escorting the move. They were trimming trees on the side of the road so that they wouldn't harm the tree when driving through. And the park ranger was there to supervise. It was really hilarious when I saw them moving other cars parked on the road cos' they are blocking a tree and they removed a road sign as it was in the way. And the TV crews were there to capture the scene. Hah....this TREE has more power than the residents living in the area. Hmm, maybe you gotta live 750 yos to get this sort of power!
Let's hope this one and only Boab tree will like its new home at King's Park.
(Picture credit from Outback Australia Travel Guide and read the full news on The West)
Saturday, 19 July 2008
Up Close with a 750 yo
Scribbled by sYLviE at 11:59 pm
Labels: Adventures
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment